The Oconee Soil and Water
Conservation District, organized in 1938, has been involved in the
protection and wise use of our county's natural resources for over 50
years. The first conservation farm plan in the nation was
completed on February 4, 1938. The location was the Ploma Adams'
farm in Seneca.
The affairs of the District are administered by a voluntary Board of
Commissioners, consisting of three positions elected during the General
Election and two appointed by the South Carolina Department of Natural
Resources (SCDNR) Board.
The Conservation District works in partnership with the USDA-Natural
Resources Conservation Service and the SC Department of Natural
Resources to accomplish its mission.
Oconee Soil and Water Conservation District's
mission is three-fold:
To provide technical and financial assistance to install conservation
practices on private and public lands;
To promote sustainable agriculture;
and To educate the public about the wise use of natural resources